Saturday 26 September 2009

There Will Be Blood...Probably Flowing From My Eyes


It's not getting any easier. Actually I tell a lie. 'Me and You and Everyone We Know' will not make my list. Despite some solid performances, especially from the young boys the film was a little too quirky, as if it was trying too hard to be an indie winner. After a few years build up in my head I was severely disappointed. However since that I have also watched 'There Will Be Blood' which would proudly stand high in any list of great films. Everything that can be said about it already has but it thoroughly deserves the praise, as does Daniel Day Lewis for yet another visceral performance. To compound my excellent week of excellent naughties film's I went nutso yesterday with 'The Hurt Locker', 'The Incredibles' and 'Slumdog Millionaire'. Slumdog was a movie I felt trepidation about and decided to wait until the fuss surrounding it had ended. And yes, I feel like a dickhead now. It is a movie that deserves to be seen on the big screen. So lushly photographed and emotionally charged you can't dislike this film and the closing stages are matched only by Rocky in the feelgood ending stakes. I knew 'The Incredibles' would be great but it wasn't; it was perfect. Pixar keep making films with stories so good you forget they are animated, and this one tops the lot. Not as outright beautiful as 'Finding Nemo' or 'Toy Story', the calibre of voice acting and gripping/hilarious premise and plot more than make up for it. A smashing film from start to finish and THE best superhero film of the decade (sorry Dark Knight). As for 'The Hurt Locker', it ticked all the boxes and surprised me with a few extra. Superb tension throughout coupled with a fantastic lead performance and a great twist on a war film (no politics, just self preservation and adrenaline seeking) made this, by a distance, the best action film since The Matrix and a welcome return from Katheryn Bigelow.
As you can guess the contenders for a place on the coveted top 20(?) list for the decade's finest are growing and having seen the gripping 'Touching The Void' during my sleepless night I can only slap myself for watching such great films whilst patting myself on the back for....well, watching such great films. At first it was almost a form of self torture but now I'm loving it (do do do do do..curse Maccy D's) and can't wait for the next set of top films. I'm going to mull over it during the weekend. My next post shall have the longlist but for now I shall be researching (watching) more possibles before more than likely turning them into definets. I am going to have to fish out my copy of Street Fighter on Sunday night though. Nothing like ending the best film week of my entire life by watching JCVD kicking some Major Bison Ass. "You're ass is 6 months overdue. and i....sminnnnnnee". Oh happy days.

Films Safely In The top 20:
er...I'll get back to ya...

Last Film(s) I Watched:
Touching The Void (a tense, fabulous story of courage and willpower though fear)
The Hurt Locker (Action/War film of the decade, with minimal war and maximum acting)
The Incredibles (er, it's incredible...guffaw)
There Will Be Blood (it's good like)

Next Film To Watch:
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Jaw Dropping Moment:
The 'Ocean Of Oil' exploding to the heavens in 'There Will Be Blood'

No comments:

Post a Comment