Tuesday 22 September 2009

It's All About Travolta In A Dress


It's almost the end of the decade, the first of the 21st Century so what better time to start thinking of the best films of this decade. Of course I shall wait until January of 2010 to make my list, which I shall whittle down from a large list to a final choice of 20 (Maybe) pictures that for me have been the best in show since y2k (Note: Best In Show will not be in the final list).
Of course there has been a slew of terrible films this decade, maybe more so than ever before but among the endless remakes, piss poor spoof's and Martin Lawrence vehicles there have been some truly great films released, some successful, some ignored gems and some complete surprises for one reason or another. So how can I take all these into account and make a deciding 20 that I will happily post next January and say, 'There, perfect'? The answer is I won't, I'll just have to grin and bear my choices when they are made. I will undoubtedly forget a film I'll want, possibly more than one. This happened to me before when I made my top 100 American films list three years ago and sat down proudly to look at it and smile smugly. The smile lasted 3 seconds, the time it took me to glance from my list to the TV, which was on Turner Classic Movies and wail in despair as 'Treasure Of The Sierra Madre' unfolded before my depressed eyeballs. It's bad enough to forget a wonderful movie such as that when compiling a list of top American pictures but to forget it when you know, and have so for years, that it is one of your favourite 5 films ever...well, I was ever so slightly browned off. So I took the mature option, which was of course to look at the wild eyes of Bogart's Fred C. Dobbs and mutter 'Overrated Shit..And it's Black &White' before turning over to the reliable Horror Zone Movies channel. Ah, Jack Frost 2, no fear of a list spoiler on this golden channel.
Of Course I re-re-evaluated 'Treasure' and tore up the list to incorporate more brain work, and a few more glaring absentees (How the hell did i forget 'Treasure' and 'The Maltese Falcon'? Sorry Bogie). So I'm sure the 20 I shall finally pick will not come easily but it will be fun. My favourite part is putting your guilty pleasures on the shortlist for as long as possible before the cull has to be made and reputations need to be kept. If I had to say off the top of my head what this decade's guilty pick would be I think I would have to say 'Hairspray', a film that I have seen at least ten times more than films I actually love. It's all about Travolta in a dress.
I shall finish for now but will return soon with more updates, reviews and general wordstuffs. I shall leave you with a few samples of what may end up in the final 20. Buh-bye.


Films Safely In The Top 20 So Far (Probably)
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • Lost In Translation
  • This Is England
Next Film I'm Going To Watch:
The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Last Film I Watched:
Rocky (The ending still gives me goosebumps, better with each viewing)

Annoyed at:
Film4's decision to air the dubbed version of Peresopolis. It ruins the movie you numb skulls. The people who decide to watch a film of this nature are the same kind that can read words whilst following action. Subtitles please.

Missing:
Jack Lemmon, still

1 comment:

  1. Very good first post. I look forward to seeing how your top 20 list develops.

    ReplyDelete